Our Units are designed for individuals who have problems with memory, including Alzheimer’s disease and related dementia
The Special Needs Units offer a personal care home setting with secured exits to ensure the safety of residents who may wander. Riverview's Special Needs Units are located on AB1 & AB2. Each wing has 15 private rooms with their own 2 piece bathroom for a total of 60 Special Needs Unit rooms.
For more information on this program, contact the Patient Care Manager at:
204-478-6127 or 478-6141
Eligibility for the Special Needs Units
- Individuals who are over 50 years of age and have been paneled and accepted for personal care home placement.
- Individuals who have a diagnosis of dementia or dementia related illness and are medically and psychiatrically stable.
- Individuals who have behavioral management or safety needs that cannot be met in a general personal care home environment.
Objectives of the program
- To provide supportive care for individuals who are no longer capable of living independently in the community or on a general personal care home unit.
- To optimize the client's quality of life.
- To maintain the highest degree of functional independence possible.
- To provide a safe and secure environment while maintaining a least restrictive approach to care.
Care provided on the Special Needs Units
Residents of the Special Needs units have access to a full range of care and supports that includes assistance with activities of daily living, and assessment and intervention by an interdisciplinary team. Individualized care plans are developed and regularly updated. Professional care includes physician coverage, nursing, recreation, occupational therapy, physical therapy, dietitian, social work, spiritual care, and clinical pharmacy. Family members are considered integral to the team and are invited to participate in care planning and decision making.
Tours of the Centre
Riverview offers tours of the Personal Care Units for family members of clients. Information regarding the next tour can be obtained by calling 478-6231.